CALI Reads is proud to offer six free Adolescent Literacy E-Learning Modules for professional learning. Each module showcases a research-based literacy practice that has been shown to be effective with adolescent learners across content area instruction. Each module takes approximately 2-3 hours to complete. Use the CALI Reads Training Modules to learn how to implement each evidence-based practice across content area instruction to support adolescent literacy. You can make a difference! Get started today!
Self-Generated Questions overview
This course overviews to the Self-Generated Questions strategy.
Self-Generated Questions Level 1:
This course demonstrates how to teach students to self-generate Level 1 or Right There questions.
Self-Generated Questions Level 2
This course demonstrates how to teach students to self-generate Level 2 or Putting It Together questions.
Self-Generated Questions Level 3
This course demonstrates how to teach students to self-generate Level 3 or Making Connections questions.
Self-Generated Questions Level 1 through Level 3 & Differentiation
This course reviews the Self-Generated Questions (SGQs) strategy and introduces tips for differentiation.
Vocabulary Maps Overview
In this course, you will learn the importance of explicit vocabulary instruction and how to prepare for Vocabulary Map instruction.
Vocabulary Maps Instruction
In this course, you will learn key instructional steps for explicit instruction using VocabularyMaps through a classroom scenario.
Vocabulary Maps Completion
In this course, you will learn more about the features of the Vocabulary Map and their importance through a peer teacher scenario.
This course is an overview of WordBuilder, a free application that helps older struggling readers break down multisyllabic words.
This course describes a flexible approach used to break down multisyllabic words, how to teach it to your students, and how it is used in WordBuilder.
Building and Spelling Multisyllabic Words
This course demonstrates how teachers can effectively support students as they move from breaking down a multisyllabic word to building, spelling, and mastering the word in WordBuilder.
Boosting WordBuilder Effects
This course demonstrates how to get the most out of WordBuilder through word-part manipulation and game-based review.
Wordbuilder Module Resources
Anticipation Reaction Guides
This course provides you with an overview of Anticipation-Reaction Guides (AR Guides), a tool designed to support students’ reading comprehension through a set of anticipatory statements used Before, During, and After reading.
Instructional Steps for AR Guides
This course demonstrates the Instructional Steps for teaching students to use Anticipation-Reaction Guides Before, During, and After reading.
Remote Learning with AR Guides
This course provides technological supports for using AR Guides during remote instruction. Synchonous and asynchronous options are included.
Anticipation Reaction Guide Module Resources
- AR Guide Template.pdf
- AR Guide Template.docx
- AR Guide Zoo Lesson PPT.pptx
- AR Guide Zoos Module Example.pdf
- AR Guide Zoos Student Example.pdf
- digiCOACH walkthrough Look Fors.pdf
- digiCOACH walkthrough Feedback.pdf
- Reading Scaffolds.pdf
- Student Work Rubric.pdf
- Vocabulary Map Template.pdf
This course overviews the Morphology strategy.
Activities for Morphology Instruction
This course demonstrates morphology instruction activities
Morphology Terminology & Concepts
This course demonstrates basic morphology terminolgy and concepts.
Effective Morphology Instruction
This course demonstrates effective morphology instruction
Morphology Module Resources
- Introduction to Morphology
- Study of Word Meaning Notes
- Personal Dictionary
- Keywords for Roots Handout
- Prefix Reference List
- Robust Vocabulary Scrib and Script
- Generative Morphology Scrib Script
- Morphology Problem Solving Script
- Jeopardy PowerPoint
- What’s my Word?
- Mini Matrix Maker
- Cloze Activity for the Root
- Identifying the Meaning of Word Roots
- Word Sort: Changes in Sound and/or Spelling of the Root
- Highlighter Races
- Morphological Problem Solving
- Illustrated Word Stories
- Vocabulary VIP
This course provides an introduction and overview of Reciprocal Teaching and a brief review of research supporting it.
This course is the beginning of comprehension strategy instruction and includes materials and directions for teaching students to summarize.
This course includes materials and directions for teaching students to generate questions.
This course includes materials and directions for teaching students to make predictions.
This course includes materials and directions for teaching students to determine what needs to be clarified, how to ask for clarification, and how to combine all of the Reciprocal Teaching strategies.
This course includes tips for common challenges, prompting strategies, and how to fit Reciprocal Teaching into your instructional sequence.
Reciprocal Teaching Module Resources
- Sequential Steps for Explicit Lessons PDF
- Sequential Steps for Explicit Lessons DOCX
- Comprehension Strategies Timeline Weeks 1-5
- Collaborative Group Work Timeline PDF
- Sample Class Schedule
- Reciprocal Teaching Rubric PDF
- Reciprocal Teaching Rubric docx
- RT Group Leader Checklist
- RT Group Leader Checklist (Teacher)
- Teacher Tips for Summarizing
- Summarizing Classroom Instruction PPT
- Warm-Up Summarizing Week 1
- Four Square Week 1 PDF
- Four Square Week 1 Docx
- Teacher Tips for Questioning
- Questioning Classroom Instruction PPT
- Warm-Up Questioning Week 2
- Four Square Week 2 PDF
- Four Square Week 2 DOCX
- Teacher Tips for Predicting
- Predicting Classroom Instruction PPT
- Warm-Up Predicting Week 3
- Four Square Week 3 PDF
- Four Square Week 3 DOCX
- Thinking About How We Think
- Teacher Tips for Clarifying
- Clarifying Classroom Instruction PPT
- Warm-Up Clarifying Week 4
- Warm-Up Putting it all Together Week 5